Friday, July 23, 2010

How I keep my grocery budget at $60 per week....

Yes, I spend on average $60 per week on groceries for a family of 6. And that includes health and beauty, cleaning supplies, paper supplies, etc. We only use name brand products. And it is not hard!!!

How do I do it?........COUPONS!!!!

Now I used to think that coupons could only save you a couple bucks, at most, per week. And that would barely cover the cost of buying the newspaper! I gave some feeble attemps at couponing and then gave up! There were never couponds for things I used!

Several months ago I found a neat website: http://www.krazycouponlady.com

I read her lessons on couponing and decided it was worth giving it a try! And I am soooo glad I did. I save sooo much money now!

Let me give you an idea of some of my savings:

-This week I bought 2 large tubes of Colgate Advanced toothpaste. I made $2 off the transaction! Yes, they paid me to take the toothpaste home! I NEVER pay for toothpaste or toothbrushes anymore. They are always FREE!

-Earlier this week I went to Fry's and got 15 packages of Philadelphia Cream Cheese and 2 Suave deoderants. My total for 17 items, after tax, was $1.69!!! Yes, you read that correctly!

-Currently my husband has a stock pile of 14 large Old Spice body washes and 3 Nivia body washes 9regulary $7 each). My total for all of them: $0!!!! Body wash is always FREE!!!! He also has a stock of about a dozen degree deoderants that I paid just 25 cents for!

-My family has had as many as 54 boxes of name brand cereal in our pantry!!! I got many for free, most for 25 cents and a few for 50 cents. Never any more than that!!!!

Here are some questions that I get asked ALL the time by friends and family:

Where do you get your coupons?

I get most of my coupons from the Sunday paper (Arizona Republic for AZ people). There are always at least one packet of coupons in the Sunday paper and sometimes as many as 3!

I also get lots of coupons online. You can get them at www.smartsource.com
or www.redplum.com
I follow The Krazy Coupon Lady and Monay Saving Mom on Facebook and so they post when there are good coupons!

Aren't they mostly coupons for stuff you don't use?

I do NOT use every coupon in the paper by any means!!! I only get stuff that my family will use. Here is a list of some of the products that I often have coupons for to give you an idea: cereal, granolla bars, Ice Cream, frozen pizzas, frozen veggies, jelly, yogurt, lunch meat, hot dogs, juice, pop tarts, brownie mix, cake mix, soups, hamburger helper, cream cheese, cheese, diapers, paper towels, toilet paper, napkins, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, razors and razor blades, shaving cream, sunblock, soap, make up, laundry detergent, deoderant, tampons, all cleaning supplies, and batteries. Do you use any of these products? Then you should be using coupons!!! I have also gotten lots of coupons for restaurants and even FREE movie tickets!

How many stores do you shop at?

I do go to more than one store during most weeks. I have my standard grocery store that I do most of my shopping at. Right now that store is Fry's because it is the only close grocery store, but my favorite is Safeway. Then during the week I will stop at Walgreens and/or CVS. OCCASIONALLY, I will stop by a second grocery store if they have a super deal on something we use A LOT. Now this may seem like a lot of stops to you, but I bet you alread stop at multiple stores if you really think about it. How many times do you realize you have run out of something and make a special trip? Plus, the Walgreens and CVS shopping trips are really quick because you are usually just picking up some FREE shampoo or body wash! I do this with 4 young kids in tow. So I am sure you could do it too!

How many newspapers do you get?

I started with just 1 and now I get 2. Plus, sometimes family members who don't coupon will give me their inserts. Sometimes on a Sunday morning you can find an insert sitting on a table at McDonalds! But 1 newspaper will give you lots of deals!

Why don't you join Coupon Sense?

Coupon Sense is a company that will match up sales with coupons in your local area. They charge a monthly fee. I think this was great several years ago. But blogs have changed everything. Why pay for a service that bloggers are offering for FREE?! There are tons and tons of blogs who match up sale prices and coupons. Do a google search and you can find blogs in your area! But I am still a Krazy Coupon Lady fan. (Although her Albertsons matchups aren't the same for me. Everything elese is!)

Enough for today....later I will post about shopping at CVS and Walgreens!!! They are the secret to the most FREE stuff in my opinion!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for laying that out!!! Keep up the good work!